Weight Loss Progress

Friday, October 7, 2011

What I Have Been Cooking

As for food, yeah I have been eating, I have been trying to make it fun and protein oriented like always. Yet I have been experimenting with Spaghetti Squash (yum), making food in bulk for the week and freezing (Chili, White Chicken Chili, Beef Stew, Buffalo Chicken Tenders, and Bison Chili), and working with butternut squash and pumpkin (pumpkin ricotta mix- yummy!).

Pumpkin with Ricotta Cheese, Truvia, and Pumpkin Pie Spice w/ four  pecans
I have always loved Pumpkin Pie, especially around the fall! But with the whole no sugar and no carbs thing that made my usual purchase of half a pumpkin pie at Stop and Shop a no-no. So, I did what any good LapBander would do- I made an alternative. I mixed 1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese, with 1 tbsp Truvia, and 1/4 cup canned  organic pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, just pumpkin) with pumpkin pie spice (to taste) and chopped up four pecans. OMG it was delicious and cured my craving for pie.

Spaghetti Squash with my White Chicken Chili
I have started making food in bulk on Saturday night and freezing it(I know, I love the Night Life, LOL!) for the week. This way dinner is always quick and easy and I don't even have to worry about lunches or anything. Just take something out of the freezer and "bam" it's done!

I made white chicken chili with 8 chicken thighs, two cans of white beans, two packets of McCormick White Chicken Chili Mix, and two cups of water. It is pretty good. I made this recipe twice once with breasts and once with thighs and like both the same. Just this week I had thighs, not breasts. I have been putting it over spaghetti squash and it is delicious.  I really like spaghetti squash it is easy to cook (375 for an hour, make certain to wash and stab the squash often before cooking) and it really is like eating pasta. Amazing what nature can provide!

Cottage Cheese 2.0

At the monthly visit with Tamara the Nutritionist at Norwalk Hospital we talked about me taking Metamucil and how I have to chug it. Tamara asked why I took Metamucil and I have her the "why do you think I am taking a fiber supplement" look and she said "why don't you just eat some Fiber One?" Apparently, Fiber One has insoluble fiber (14grams) which is the better fiber, whereas Metamucil has soluble fiber (why I have to chug it down or it becomes sludge in the cup). 

So, now I have created Cottage Cheese 2.0. Half a cup of low fat cottage cheese, two strawberries, two pieces of pineapple (finally chopped), and 1/2 cup of Fiber One. I have to say I like the taste of it and I never would have liked Fiber One or the cottage cheese before Lapband. It is amazing how your tastes and perceptions change. 

Well, that is a quick sonopsous of what I have been eating over the past two weeks. You can throw in the occasional home made frozen yogurt (high protein Greek), the occasional Pinkberry, Mexican food (yes, I even had some tortilla chips!!!), and my new Planter's Bone Density & Energy Nuts Mix (one tablespoon of each with a Laughing Cow wedge) for a snack. 

That is how this LapBander is eating.

Peace. 

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment