Weight Loss Progress

Friday, May 6, 2011

Nutritionist Appointment Yesterday

On Thursday (Cinco de Mayo) I went to see the nutritionist. I had many questions to ask her and I felt as though it was necessary to make the trek to Fairfield.

My notes from the meeting: 
  • One of the most important things to remember is that I need to eat three meals per day.
  • With the band I should remain full for three to four hours, after which if I am hungry and am not near a meal time then I can have a protein shake or yogurt.
  • I should be eating four ounces of food per meal (2-3 oz of which should be protein)
  • I can use as much condiments (ketchup, bbq sauce, mayo (light preferably)) as necessary to make food appropriately moist.
  • Always start out with protein and then move to vegetables and then if I am still hungry then have carbs.
  • Stage 4- I should be consuming 60g of protein per day.
  • Stage 5- I should be consuming 80g of protein per day.
  • No more than 30g of protein can be processed by the body at once.
  • According to the nutritionist I should be aiming for 900-1100 calories per day.
  • According to Dr. Floch I should be aiming for 800 calories per day.
  • Miso soup is OK and can be included in stage one (sans tofu chunks and seaweed)...wtf, could this have not been told to me when I was on the liquid stages!
  • Stage 4- the meat should be moist: steamed, poached, broiled or grilled in foil.
  • Stage 4: Ground Turkey in tomato sauce is good. Ground turkey & chicken is your friend.
  • Stage 4: Tuna Salad, Egg Salad, Chicken Salad....I am feeling like Forrest Gump!
  • Stage 5: can begin introducing raw vegetables.
  • Stage 5: can begin introducing gassy foods/vegetables (broccoli/cauliflower/asparagus (heads only)).
  • Week 5: Chili or beef stew can be eaten
  • Contrary to blogs you should not be eating chips, it is a snack and no real snacking should be done besides protein shakes or yogurt.
  • With the LapBand you must be an active participant in the weight loss process.
  • With the LapBand you have to eat right and it is higher maintenance.
  • The LapBand is work, but you learn correct eating habits for a healthful life.
That is a snapshot of what I learned yesterday. It was very informative and I was told to make an appointment again in 4-6 weeks, after my first fill.

I am ready for the changes to occur and for the healthy eating habits to become second nature. I know that there will need to be a lot of hard work on my part, but I am ready for that. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment