Weight Loss Progress

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My First Fill and Shortly After My First Unfill

Today at 3:30pm I had my first fill at Fairfield County Bariatrics in Fairfield (a truly awesome office). I got weighted and lost about 8lbs since my last weight in there (three weeks ago) and then I got to go and sit on the big chair in the office for my first fill.

Dr. Floch came in and and answered the few questions I had, inspected my scars, and then started prepping  to find my port for the fill. My port was elusive, but eventually he found it and thus began the fill. It was done quickly and he told me that he had put in 4.3; a fair amount I thought. So, I sipped some water and all went down well and I was allowed to leave.

As soon as I started driving I noticed I had a lot of gas, I was burping like a mad woman. This continued for twenty minutes and over this time a pain in the middle of my upper back started- it got intense. When I got to about West Haven I was stuck in traffic and suddenly I felt my mouth was filled with water. Since I was in traffic I opened the door and spit it out- it was a lot. After this I still kept burping, except I was then hiccuping too. After hiccuping for twenty minutes- through all the traffic in New Haven- that is when I decided to call my Doctor. I called and talked to the nurse who immediately handed me off to the Doctor, and I told him my symptoms and he told me to come right back.

I turned around and headed back to Fairfield County Bariatrics- except this time the Norwalk office. Fun fun at 4:30 in the afternoon to be fighting rush hour Fairfield County traffic! I got to about Milford and then I felt (very quickly too) that I was going to throw up, so I cut over three lanes and got into the breakdown lane. I hopped out of my car and was trying to get to the other side, so as few passerbys would be me upchucking on the side of the road as possible. Well, I got to my trunk and up it came- a very little bit of water and that was it. I was throwing up the sips of water that I had taken ten minutes ago. Que????

After the Milford incident I got back in the car and drove (burping and feeling miserable) all the way to exit 16- Norwalk! I got to office and let myself in, I found Dr. Floch in the back and he was soooooo sweet. Dr. Floch asked me how I was doing and I told him about my "trip". He said he would give me an unfill- as he was finding my port again and pushing on my stomach I suddenly felt like I was going to vomit again. He quickly gave me a little bed pan to puke in and gave me a complete unfill (he left a little in, but he said I am pretty much at no restriction).

It was amazing, within a minute my back pain was gone (which Dr. Floch explained to me was an esophogus spasm).  I was able to keep down two cups of water. I was burping and had this weird stretchy feeling in my front esophgus area. It has now been four hours and I have had a cup of metamucil w/ water and a bottle of plain water with no complications or pain.

Dr. Floch explained to me that at my next fill we will take it slower and that I must just be sensitive. I told my Mom this and she said "I could have told you that, you have been sensitive since you were a little kid". I appreciate the care and attentiveness that Dr. Floch showed me during this ordeal and I hope that my next fill is more successful.

Dr. Floch also told me that I can have 800-1000 calories per day and I can have 2 "100 calorie" snacks per day (like yogurt or protein in general). So, at least I have a clear answer to my calories and snack questions. I have my next fill scheduled for June 29th at 11:30am (summer time....woot woot), so hopefully I don't need a fill until then (I would need one b/c of extreme hunger or no weight loss). I figure I have been without a fill for the past month and have not been dying so I can make it.

Tomorrow I am going to go to the gym, I didn't get to today because of my travels around CT. And I am going to go to another Weight Watchers meeting, I feel as though WW meetings are my AA. Tomorrow I will be on a full liquid diet and then on Friday/Saturday I will be on soft foods. Then on Sunday or Monday, if my stomach is OK by then, I am going to try to eat some fresh lobster meat! I have been looking forward to it for a while.

Today I ate an omelet for breakfast with 1oz chicken cut up with .5oz of shredded cheese. For lunch I had Cajun Spiced Chicken (3oz) and 1oz of sweet potatoes with a smidgen of butter on top. Then for dinner I had liquids- water and one glass of Metamucil.

That was my day in a nutshell and the journey of my first fill and then unfill. Hope you enjoyed the story of my semi-painful evening. Goodnight.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment